Who can apply
The Shanghai Visiting International Publishers (SHVIP) fellowship programme gives priority to publishers and editors of all levels. However, a couple of vacancies are reserved to foreign rights people, literary agents, scouts and other children’s literature professionals with a strong interest in the Chinese market.
The “ideal SHVIP fellow” checklist:
- You are a publisher/editor interested in buying and selling children’s copyright
- You attend book fairs and exhibit in them regularly
- You are eager to meet Chinese and Asian publishers at the fair
- You are willing to take part in the CCBF Professional Programme, including conferences, workshops, portfolio reviews etc.
- You are comfortable in English, as to attend meetings and speak in public
- You are eager to learn and are curious about other people and cultures
SHVIP is an opportunity to learn about the Chinese children’s publishing market through valuable first-hand information, extend your network of international partners and discover CCBF from a privileged position. To achieve its goals, SHVIP is shaped as a six-day programme with a diversified programme of public events and small group meetings.
DAY 1 (9 November 2020)
Welcome and warm-up
Settle down, meet the other fellows and the team that will take care of you during your stay
DAY 2, 3 & 4 (10 to 12 November)
Visit local publishing houses, bookstores and libraries
Meet the people who run them
Network at the SHVIP Book Pitch Party
In between a few walks to get a pulse of our thrilling city
DAY 5 & 6 (13 and 14 November)
Discover China Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair
Speak at our professional seminars
Enjoy a lot of free time to arrange your own schedule of meetings at CCBF
- A return ticket in economy class to travel to Shanghai
- 6 nights’ hotel accommodation
- A tailor-made tour to local publishing houses, bookstores and other places of importance around Shanghai
- 5 titles of your choice on display at the CCBF Copyright Great Wall
- Participation in many CCBF top events: SHVIP Book Pitch Party, professional conference programme etc.
- Access to all CCBF matchmaking and networking opportunities to boost your business networks
Application period and selection process
SHVIP calls for applications every spring. Applications are submitted through a form available on CCBF official website from 2 March to 15 June 2020 (23:59, GMT+8) .