Founded in 1981,the Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award (CICLA) is one of the longest running literary prizes in China, which boasts one of the most profuse lists of award winners. Since 2014, it has been reframed as an international competition, which aims to foster the production and exchange of quality children’s books from China and beyond.
It is organised jointly by the Shanghai Press and Publication Administration, the Shanghai Baoshan District People’s Government and the Chen Bochui Children’s Literature Foundation Special Committee, constituted in the Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee.
Entries to the 2021 Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award are now officially open. The Award encompasses the following categories: Author of the Year Award, Special Contribution Award, and Best Book of the Year Awards, that include Best International Picture Books and Best Literary Works in Chinese Language.
The Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award Organising Committee has established the following entry regulations for the Best Book of the Year. It is open to publishing houses from any country or territory in the world.
1. Award structure
The Best Book of the Year category includes 5 Best International Picture Book Awards and 5 Best Literary Work in Chinese Language Awards. The CICLA seeks to reward quality publications accessible to young readers, which best stimulate their thought, imagination and aesthetic sensitivity.
2. Entry eligibility requirements
All entries must be original editions of children's books officially published and printed between 1 June 2020 and 30 June 2021. The entries must not be the subject of any copyright-related controversy and they must fully comply with China's copyright regulations. Any work found to be copied or in breach of the copyright of a third party will be disqualified and the entrant will be legally liable.
a. Best International Picture Books:
- All participating works must comply with Chinese and international copyright regulations.
- The entered artworks must be original productions and cannot be the result of a rights trade agreement. Books in any language can be submitted.
- Each publishing company can enter a maximum of 5 titles. For each title submitted, the entrant should provide (1) a PDF file of the whole book (max. 50 MB; copyright watermarks accepted); (2) the 2021 Best International Picture Books entry Form correctly filled and (3) 2 physical copies of each book to be sent by postal mail.
- Individuals cannot enter titles in the Best International Picture Book category.
b. Best Literary Work in Chinese Language:
- There are no limitations to the topic genre or length of the works submitted.
- All the works submitted must have been originally published in Chinese language.
- Collections of texts are accepted insofar as (1) the texts belong to one same genre (i.e: short story collection, poem collections etc.); (2) all texts included in the collection are penned by one same author; (3) at least 2/3 of the collections contents are new creations published for the first time.
- Each publishing company can enter a maximum of 2 titles. For each title submitted, the entrant should provide 10 copies and the 2021 Best Novels in Chinese Language entry Form correctly filled.
- Individuals cannot enter titles in the Best Literary Work in Chinese Language category.
3. Entry period
Entries to the Best International Picture Book of the Year should be sent digitally no later than 30 September 2021. Books and printed forms should also be expedited before 30 September (postal mark will be taken as reference).
Application for Best Children's Novel of the Year should be sent no later than 30 June 2021.
No new submissions will be accepted after the aforementioned deadlines.
4. Entry procedure
Please check the websites of the Chen Bochui Memorial Hall (www.chenbochuimh.org) or click the button below to download the entry form.
One form is required for each title submitted.
a. The digital entry form(s) for Best International Picture Books should be completed and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org, together with the corresponding PDF file(s). The entry form should be printed, stamped and sent with the book samples to the following address:
Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award
390, Fuzhou Road, Shanghai, China Zip Code: 200052
Contact: Zhang Wei T: +86-13816328363| E: email@example.com
Remarks: It is recommended to use international express courier companies (i.e DHL, UPS, FEDEX, etc.) and indicate 2021 Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award Submission on the package to avoid delays in delivery. Expedition is not reimbursed by the organisers. Submissions to CICLA are free of other charges.
b. The entry form(s) for Best Literary Work in Chinese Language should be printed out on paper, stamped and sent along with the book samples to the following address:
Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Council Office
No.10 Building, 1538, Yan’an West Road, Shanghai, China
Zip Code: 200052
At the same time, please send your entry form(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Mr. Shan T:13918494619 | E:email@example.com
- The Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee have exclusive right of using the Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award and the Chen Bochui Children’s Literature Award names and associated symbols. No other individual or organisation is allowed to use them to publish books or organise other activities without prior agreement with the Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee.
- The Organising Committee is entitled to use the content of any submitted work, including text and illustrations, to promote the Award or any other related non-commercial activities at the Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair.
- The sample books submitted to the award will not be returned.
- The Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Council reserves the right of final interpretation of these regulations.
The award winners will be announced on the eve of the Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair.
Publication date: 30 May 2021