Founded in 1981, the Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award (CICLA) is one of the longest running literary prizes in China, which boasts one of the most profuse lists of award winners. Since 2014, it has been reframed as an international competition, which aims to foster the production and exchange of quality children’s books from China and beyond.
It is organised jointly by the Shanghai Press and Publication Administration, the Shanghai Baoshan District People’s Government and the Chen Bochui Children’s Literature Foundation Special Committee, constituted in the Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee.
Entries to the 2020 Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award are now officially open. The Award encompasses the following categories: one Author of the Year Award, one Special Contribution Award, and 10 Best Book of the Year Awards, that include 5 Best International Picture Book Awards and 5 Best Literary Work in Chinese Language Awards.
The Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award Organising Committee has established the following entry regulations for the Best Book of the Year. It is open to publishing houses from any country in the world.
1. Award structure
The Best Book of the Year Awards includes 5 Best International Picture Booksand 5 Best Literary Work in Chinese Language. TheCICLA seeks to reward quality publications accessible to young readers, which best stimulate their thought, imagination and aesthetic sensitivity.
2. Entry eligibility requirements
All entries must be original editions of children's books officially published and printed between 1 June 2019 and 31 May 2020. The entries must not be the subject of any copyright-related controversy and they must fully comply with China's copyright regulations. Any work found to be copied or in breach of the copyright of a third party will be disqualified and the entrant will be legally liable.
1）Best International Picture Books:
- All participating works must comply with Chinese and international copyright regulations.
- The entered artworks must be original productions and cannot be the result of a rights trade agreement. Books in any language can be submitted.
- Each publishing company can enter a maximum of 2 titles. For each title submitted, the entrant should provide (1) a PDF file of the whole book (max. 50 MB; copyright watermarks accepted); (2) the 2020 Best International Picture Books entry Form correctly filled and (3) 2 physical copies of each book to be sent by postal mail.
- Individuals cannot enter titles in the Best International Picture Book category.
2）Best Literary Work in Chinese Language:
- There are no limitations to the topic genre or length of the works submitted.
- All the works submitted must have been originally published in Chinese language.
- Collections of texts are accepted insofar as (1) the texts belong to one same genre (i.e: short story collection, poem collections etc.); (2) all texts included in the collection are penned by one same author; (3) at least 2/3 of the collections contents are new creations published for the first time.
- Each publishing company can enter a maximum of 2 titles. For each title submitted, the entrant should provide 10 copiesand the 2020 Best Novels in Chinese Languageentry Form correctly filled.
- Individuals cannot enter titles in the Best Literary Work in Chinese Language category.
Application for Best Children's Novel of the Year should be sent no later than 20 September 2020.
Entries to the Best International Picture Book of the Year should be sent digitally no later than 30 September 2020. Books and printed forms should also be expedited before 30 September (postal mark will be taken as reference).
No new submissions will be accepted after the aforementioned deadlines.
Please check the website of the Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair (http://www.ccbookfair.com) to download the entry form. One form is required for each title submitted. The form of the Best Literary Work in Chinese Language Awards is in Chinese.
- The digital entryform(s) for Best International Picture Books should be completed and returned to email@example.com, together with the PDF files. The entry form should be printed, stamped and sent with the book samples to the following address:
- Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award
- 390, Fuzhou Road, Shanghai, China Zip Code: 200052
- Contact: Zhang Wei T: +86-13816328363| E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remarks: It is recommended to use international express courier companies (i.e DHL, UPS, FEDEX, etc.) and indicate 2020 Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award Submission on the mail to avoid delays in delivery. Expedition is not reimbursed by the organisers. Submissions to CICLA are free of other charges. Please send the physical copies before 15th October 2020.
- The entryform(s) for Best Literary Work in Chinese Language should be printed out on paper, stamped and sent along with the book samples to the following address:No.10 Building, 1538, Yan’anWest Road, Shanghai, China.
- Recipients: The Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Council Office
- Zip Code: 200052
- At the same time, please send your entryform(s) to email@example.com.
- Contact: Mr. Shan T:13918494619 | E:firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee have exclusive right of using the Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award and the Chen Bochui Children’s Literature Award names and associated symbols. No other individual or organisationis allowed to use them to publish books or organise other activities without prior agreement with the Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee.
- The Organising Committee is entitled to use the content of any submitted work, including text and illustrations, to promote the Award or any other related non-commercial activities at the Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair.
- The sample books submitted to the award will not be returned.
- The Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Council reserves the right of final interpretation of these regulations.
The award winners will be announced on the eve of the Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair.