The organisers of the Chen Bochui International Children's Literature Award (CICLA) hereby call all publishing houses from China and overseas to enter their best original picture books in the Best International Picture Book Award of the Year. Publishers who wish to enter contents in the children’s novel and short story categories (in Chinese language only) can consult the participating rules here.
The pictures books entered in the Best Picture Book Award category will be assessed against their originality and the creativity of the author(s). The text and pictures entered must be consonant with each other, displaying both literary and artistic value, perfect harmony between content and form, and a pleasing overall visual effect; thus providing a strong stimulus for children's thought and imagination. Content and form should be suited to young readers. The works entered must also contribute to building strong aesthetic and intellectual grounds for young readers.
1. Award structure
The Awards are constituted by three categories:
Best International Picture Book of the Year Award: 5 winning titles
Best Children's Novel of the Year (in Chinese): 5 winning titles
Best Short Story of the Year (in Chinese): 5 winning pieces
2. Entry eligibility requirements
- Participation in the Chen Bochui Picture Book of the Year Award is open to all publishing companies from China and overseas.
- Private publishing entities established in China are allowed to enter the competition provided that (1) they are exhibitors of the 2019 CCBF and (2) the entry’s corresponding application form is sealed by their public publishing partner.
- All entries must be original editions of children's books officially published and printed for the first time no earlier than 1January 2018 (as stated on the book's copyright page).
- Each entrant to the CICLA Best Picture Book of the year Award may submit up to five different original titles. If submitting a series of books, the entrants shall select one book deemed representative of the whole series. For each title, the entrant shall provide two printed copies to the organising committee.
- The entries must not be the subject of any copyright-related controversy and they must fully comply with China's copyright regulations. Any work found to be copied or in breach of the copyright of a third party will be disqualified and the entrant will be legally liable.
- Publications entered in the 2018 Chen Bochui International Children's Literature cannot be reentered in 2019.
3. Entry period
All digital pre-submissions and all the printed material must be sent to the Organising Committee no later than 30 September 2019 (the postmark will be taken as proof).
4. Entry procedure
STEP1: DIGITAL PRE-SUBMISSION
Entry forms to the CICLA Best Picture Book of the Year Award can be downloaded on the following link:
Once completed, the entry forms should be sent back by email to the following address: email@example.com before the end of the entry period.
One entry form is required for each title submitted.
STEP 2: BOOK SHIPPING
The entry form(s) should be printed out on paper and sent, together with two samples of each book, to the following mail address:
Att: Mr. Zhang Wei (2018 CICLA Submissions)
Shanghai Book Traders
390, Fuzhou Road
Huangpu District, Shanghai, China
Zip Code: 200001
Notes on international shipping procedures:
1) If your shipping/postal service requires the recipient’s contact details, please use the following information:
Recipient’s name: Zhang Wei
Phone number: +86-13816328363
2) If the nature of the shipped items is required, please specify "Book submitted to the Chen Bochui Award; no commercial value".
By entering a book, all entrants shall abide the following principles:
a. The sample books submitted to the award will not be returned.
b. The China Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair Organising Committee is entitled to use the content of any submitted work, including text and illustrations, to promote the Award or any other related non-commercial activities at the Shanghai International Children’s Book Fair.
c. The Chen Bochui International Children’s Literature Award Organising Committee reserves the right of final interpretation of these regulations.
Information and media enquiries
If you need more information about the award or its entry procedure, please write to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.